Topic: UFC 294

UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,837
  • Post Score: 46

03.16.2023 | 11:47 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 294
  • Saturday 10.21.2023 at 10:00 AM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Etihad Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier, Megan Olivi
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Hammerfists   3:06 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Khamzat Chimaev   defeats   Kamaru Usman   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Magomed Ankalaev   vs.   Johnny Walker   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Illegal Knee   3:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ikram Aliskerov   defeats   Warlley Alves   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee and Punches   2:07 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Said Nurmagomedov   defeats   Muin Gafurov   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Muhammad Mokaev   defeats   Tim Elliott   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:03 Round 3 of 3, 13:03 Total Bout Page
Trevor Peek   defeats   Mohammad Yahya   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Javid Basharat   vs.   Victor Henry   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Groin Kick to Henry   0:15 Round 2 of 3, 5:15 Total Bout Page
Sedriques Dumas   defeats   Abu Azaitar   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Breeden   defeats   Anshul Jubli   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   3:00 Round 3 of 3, 13:00 Total Bout Page
Muhammad Naimov   defeats   Nathaniel Wood   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Victoria Dudakova   defeats   Jinh Yu Frey   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Shara Magomedov   defeats   Bruno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 34

danromanick
danromanick
  • Predictions:  1,886  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,935
  • Post Score: 92

10.18.2023 | 7:59 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 1104th

@foppa420 
I may be reading this wrong bc I haven't slept in over 24 hours, but I don't get question #6. It seems like you are saying will there be a winner in the Islam/Volk fight which the clear answer is that someone is probably going to win, and the likelihood of a draw is very low. For questions 1 - 5, I agree w/ Rah on everything except question #5. My answer is that there is world that Walker wins bc he's looked incredibly improved, and Ank looked horrible in his last fight. But every fighter usually has one more good performance when it seems like they are declining which is very well a possibility w/ Jan against Ank. I actually also would say probably for question #4 as well. Elliott is crafty, but I also don't think Tagir and Victor are top 15 talent

* Edited at 10.18.2023, 8:01 PM ET *

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,243  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,685
  • Post Score: 106

10.18.2023 | 8:50 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 1508th

Also Naimov didn't really impress, dude was getting brutalized and than Mullarkey got caught being overzealous in the pocket with his hands down just kinda standing there.

I needa see Naimov actually winning in a UFC Fight before I even think about trusting him.

* Edited at 10.18.2023, 8:51 PM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

VicStrk
VicStrk
  • Predictions:  3,184  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,741
  • Post Score: 202

10.18.2023 | 8:53 PM ET

@2e7en

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 1248th

Dude I am worried about Tim Elliot, a man can only take a certain amount of L's before snapping. Someone go check up on him after this card is over. 

"This is a rat race...but I’m not a rat. I’m a f*ckin’ turtle, ninja turtle. So which one is your favorite? I like Michelangelo....next question - Tony Ferguson"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,131  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,216
  • Post Score: 137

10.18.2023 | 9:00 PM ET

@dan

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 2153rd

Typically need a solid 7-10 days to really get acclimated to the desert heat and humidity. I think the fact that both guys have limited time to do so while also cutting weight makes their fights that much more difficult. Ideally you want to show up pretty close to your fight weight in a location like Abu Dhabi and only be cutting like your last 5-7lbs if anything at all. 

I don't know what Usman's cut looks like but he's got to walk around north of 200lbs with how big he is. I know when Volk got the call he was over 180lbs so he's cutting a decent amount in a short window. The short notice aspect is still notable but not as big a deal for guys this high level. They train and work out so much they're sort of always in camp. However, I think the fact that these fights are on short notice AND in the desert makes a difference. It may not be a massive difference, but for Volk and Usman it makes a fight against a ridiculously tough opponent that much more difficult. 
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,842  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,655
  • Post Score: 261

10.18.2023 | 9:01 PM ET

Vikstik

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 1873rd

Usman a big welterweight, I was alway surprise to see how big he was on the analyst desk, he was the same size as Rashad Evens

"Quack quack quack"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,131  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,216
  • Post Score: 137

10.18.2023 | 9:05 PM ET

@Crimson

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 2153rd

I get the point your trying to make overall but he won a fight on short notice against an accomplished vet up a weight class. I was impressed regardless of how he did it. I think the matchmaking is a little weird because Nathaniel Wood is actually really good. I think it says something about what the UFC thinks about Naimov, because he's still kind of green in MMA IMO.

Will be very interesting to see if he's improved at all since he got his first win. 
CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,243  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,685
  • Post Score: 106

10.18.2023 | 9:41 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 1508th

@foppa420 

Yeah i don't disagree, a wins a win.

Just need to see a complete winning performance put on by Naimov before even thinking about predicting him over a solid well rounded prospect in Wood.

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  487  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  974
  • Post Score: 157

10.18.2023 | 10:14 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 2922nd

Makhachev vs. Volkanovski II
Alexander Volkanovski, DEC
No matter how you scored the first one, we can all agree it was a close and competitive fight. Volk's fight IQ is outstanding and I believe he'll make the necessary adjustments to get the win this time. Just look at his trilogy with Max as an example... By the time they fought a third time it wasn't even close.

Usman vs. Chimaev
Khamzat Chimaev, TKO, R2
Kamaru is still a dangerous, well rounded fighter, but he's clearly past his prime. Khamzat is in his prime and a straight killer. Think we see Usman get TKO'ed here

Ankalaev vs. Walker
Magomed Ankalaev, DEC
I think this ends up being one of those fights where each fighter is overly patient and cautious and puts the crowd to sleep. Ankalaev wins a boring decision by mixing in his wrestling and top control.

Aliskerov vs. Alves
Ikram Aliskerov, TKO, R1
Alves is being fed to Ikram here. It's clear they want to push this guy to the top and get him in the octagon with Khamzat again. He finishes this early by flatlining him or choking him out after a knockdown.

Nurmagomedov vs. Gafurov
Said Nurmagomedov, DEC
This fight will be more competitive than most people think, but said pulls of a hard fought decision win.

Elliott vs. Mokaev
Muhammad Mokaev, DEC
This could be a bad day for Mokaev if he doesn't show up ready. Tim Elliott brings the fight every time. Riding with the young rising star though and think he gets it done, even if he has to fight through some adversity.

"My balls was hot"

DRstoppage
DRstoppage
  • Predictions:  6,934  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 125

10.18.2023 | 10:32 PM ET

Free $ cum shot

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 1357th

Usmans such a bad liar. Garth obviously asks You ok? & clear as day Usman reveals to the world “nah something popped” & they immediately end the workout session .. I think it’s safe to bet every last dime I own on a Khamzat steamrollin. Might bet every dime of my daughter’s savings as well. Yeah yeah I know my wife said never to do that again.. but this is guaranteed FREE MONEY !! I’m rich come Saturday! LETS GO
A moderator has publicly marked this as inappropriate. Please be respectful on Tapology otherwise suspensions may be levied.
danromanick
danromanick
  • Predictions:  1,886  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,935
  • Post Score: 92

10.18.2023 | 10:38 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 1104th

Oh, you were asking if Volk and Usman would be able to make weight and not be depleted on fight night. Got ya. I think they both could. Volk is pretty professional and savvy about every little thing when he fights no matter what and Usman may have gain muscle, but I don't believe he's really going to have to cut that much weight. I think Khamzat still cuts 2x more weight than Usman does. They could even be equal in strength now, but Khamzat is just a bigger dude 
Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,334  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,888
  • Post Score: -53

10.19.2023 | 1:45 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 3094th

Just realised that Andrew got banned for 2 years? How did that happen 

"Positivity is a positive"

Rah123
Rah123

10.19.2023 | 1:49 AM ET

Islam gets the finish.

Khamzat gets the finish.

Ankalaev gets the finish.

Ikram gets the finish.

Peek gets the finish. 

Dudakova gets the finish. I think.

Jubli gets the finish. I think.

Shara gets the finish.

Rah123
Rah123

10.19.2023 | 1:50 AM ET

DanRomanick

Haven't slept in 24 hours? Cocaine is a hell of a drug

* Edited at 10.19.2023, 1:51 AM ET *

Rah123
Rah123

10.19.2023 | 1:56 AM ET

Quick Cobalt

They ban me every month because the world is not ready for my truth bombs

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki
  • Predictions:  1,229  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  243
  • Post Score: 160

10.19.2023 | 3:24 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 2515th

Silva vs. Magomedov
Sharabutdin Magomedov, TKO, R1
This is the fight you make to get people watching your card early!

Bruno Silva has unfortunately not had the best UFC run as of lately he started out amazing with three finishes in a row continuing his crazy stoppage ratio of only going to decision three times in his 22 victories. His UFC win streak was broken by a decision loss to Alex Pereira which I felt was still a good achievement given Pereira's striking accolades and after seeing Pereira flying knee Andreas Michailidis I thought Bruno was lucky he didn't get sent to the shadow realm. But since then the UFC has not been too kind to him as he went to subbed by a revengeful Gerald Meerschaert, got a win over Brad Tavares who in hindsight has not had the best of the past few years and most recently he lost via first-round stoppage to Brendan Allen which honestly was a 50/50 but being dropped by a fighter known for his grappling while you are the dominate striker going in was not a good look. With that being said we cannot forget how dangerous he is on the feet.

This now brings us to his next bout with Sharabutdin Magomedov. I won't pretend to know much about him besides a few highlights and his stats but if stats and the highlights that are anything to go by we are in for a real one-round massacre of someone.

Combined both these men have only gone to decision 4 times in 34 fights. With the mystic of Sharabutdin Magomedov and the still dangerous striking power of Bruno, this is matchmaking done right by the UFC.

* Edited at 10.19.2023, 3:44 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

unoshowtenuno
unoshowtenuno
  • Predictions:  5,726  |  62.0%
  • Post Score: 102

10.19.2023 | 3:36 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 3461st

Silva vs. Magomedov
Bruno Silva, TKO, R1
Willing to take this L. Shara seems good, but untested. Questions about his level of competition. I get why he’s the favorite, but Bruno is a savage and an experienced one at that. I won’t be surprised if Shara blows him away, but my gut is telling me to take the more experienced guy.

* Edited at 10.19.2023, 3:37 AM ET *

"We are all one"

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki
  • Predictions:  1,229  |  65.1%
  • Post Score: 160

10.19.2023 | 3:48 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 2515th

@unoshowtenuno 
Agree fully this is a 50/50 on paper but people forget that the UFC test is a real thing and debut agaisnt and equally good striker such as Bruno is not an easy task. 

Bruno deserves credit in taking this fight as it can be seen as a lose lose for him. 
Win and you won a guy making his UFC debut with one eye and narrative of he was never that good occurs. 
Lose and now you are 1-4 in the last 5. 

* Edited at 10.19.2023, 3:48 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

dotatony
dotatony
  • Predictions:  283  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  30
  • Post Score: 30

10.19.2023 | 4:39 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 2332nd

Makhachev vs. Volkanovski II
Alexander Volkanovski, TKO, R3
volk had islams hp and mana bar completely drained in round 5 and also took makachevs best shots, he was super competitve in the grappling and islam never got off any ground and pound or submission attempts, volk was starstruck in the first fight, he expected islam to put him in a few nasty submissions but he couldnt, volk puts it on him here i think both guys get dropped in the early rounds but volks endurance outlast islam, i rewatched the first fight and volk barely lost, islam looked like a helpless child that had been jumped by 5 older school boys at the end of round 5

Usman vs. Chimaev
Khamzat Chimaev, DEC
two of the biggest weight bullies at 170 go to 185 and battle it out on short notice, khamzat hasnt fought since the burns fight dude was so shook after that fight, usman is about to start a tyrone woodley/ tony ferguson esque decline here i think, I think both guys come out scared and khamzat dissapoints everyone with a **** show of a performance, probably a low output clinch fest that sees chimaev get gifted a decsion and usman crys on twitter

Ankalaev vs. Walker
Johnny Walker, DEC
at the end of the day magomed is a crybaby after his draw with yan and also a guy who taps out with 1 second left against paul craig in a triangle choke, johhny walker is 110% pure brazilian chad, I hope walker knocks him out but even more than that i hope magomed slightly outplays johhny on the feet but loses a split decision robbery just so we can hear him go full crybaby again

Aliskerov vs. Alves
Ikram Aliskerov, SUB, R2
warlley alves is done and ikram is just getting started... warlley will fight for one round maybe and then go down by tko or sub

Nurmagomedov vs. Gafurov
Said Nurmagomedov, DEC
said should beat him on the feet and in the grappling... should be a nice kickboxing battle, im not a fan of gafurov but he seems moderatly durable so he probably last all 3

Elliott vs. Mokaev
Tim Elliott, DEC
i hope tim elliot wins.. i have not been impressed with muhammad mokaev, he is sort of the muslim grappling version of ian garry at 135, i expect elliot to fight for my money, elliot is a damn good tricky tough veteran whos still putting good wins together and seems to have revamped his career, muhammad seems like he just wants to be some superstar like conor or israel or khabib but i dont think hes got the skills and intangibles to be that guy

Yahya vs. Peek
Mohammad Yahya, DEC
i get that chepe mariscal is good but hes a 155er, trevor peek brutally koing a guy named mohammad in dubai then thanking jesus christ would be awesome but damn i just think trevor peek is a low iq neanderthal in the cage, he has such bad technique and fight iq, its like u put a 12 year old who plays video games all day in heavy muscled thick skulled mma fighters body and set him loose in the cage, its not that i think mohammad is such a badass but i think trevor finds a way to lose

Basharat vs. Henry
Javid Basharat, SUB, R2
victory henry is harmless he couldnt even finish 51 year old raphael assuncao or raoni no chin barcelos and was never close to hurting them or getting them out of there, basharat easily beats henry in unanimous dec, wouldnt be suprised if he came out looking for a finish though and im predicting he will

Dumas vs. Azaitar
Abu Azaitar, TKO, R1
dumas sucks and abu is a savage, he needed the time off after the beat down marc andre gave him in round 3 a while back, but that was a good fight the first two rounds at a very high pace over 100 sig strikes landed for each fighter and clinching, dumas not only has a dumas name but hes only thrown about 20 strikes in his highest output fight, i think abu comes out here and puts a pace on this noob gets a early stoppage probably knocks dumas down or has him covering up on the cage and the ref was payed off to stop it early

Jubli vs. Breeden
Anshul Jubli, TKO, R1
indians are absent from ufc mainly because they are too intelligent , why would they get their ass whooped in the ufc when they could just go to america and drive a 18 wheeler truck or become a security gaurd or factory worker and make more money, i like anshuls here, breedan might upset but i think the ufc would prefer jubli win this , anshul looks superior in size and strength and hes gonna have a more intelligent strategy

Wood vs. Naimov
Muhammad Naimov, TKO, R1
wood is good but i have been wanting to fade him for a while because im sure someone will knock him out soon, he a solid fighter but he has rose about as high as i feel he should and damn muhammad the hillman in duabi at +265 moneyline coming off a vicious ko of james malarkey seems like a damn good spot to fade nathaniel, remeber malarkey is a big guy a huge guy at 155, nathaniel was a 135er recently and is a small guy for 145, i expect the hillman to be super dangerous and way stronger than wood

Yu Frey vs. Dudakova
Victoria Dudakova, SUB, R1
dude frey is just so bad, ive tried seeing the good in here and even bet her once or twice but she has no skill, she cant take a shot, she has bad fight iq, she doesnt have a good pace, shes basically a girl whos gonna look big and muscley at weight ins to fool casuals into betting her but then she throws no strikes does no takedowns and doesnt try to win at all. dudakova is hot and she will try to win and she is good and can strike and can grapple alot better than frey, she broke istella nunes arm just be making her fall over lmao, thats a beast right there, that means her takedown is really good, istella didnt have time to defend and tried to post and pop ur done

Silva vs. Magomedov
Sharabutdin Magomedov, TKO, R2
sharabutdin and bruno silva is such a badass fight for his debut, **** bruno never been knocked out but this russian has red hair and one eye and his arms are wrapped with ropes, i think he finishes it early... and the ref gonna be looking to stop it early because they know all of the ufc and dubai want sharabutdin to start this **** off with a ko

Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,607  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  898
  • Post Score: 105

10.19.2023 | 5:30 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 101st

Makhachev lock
Aliskerov lock
Nurmagomedov lock
Basharat lock

BackstepFrontSweep
BackstepFrontSweep
  • Predictions:  142  |  74.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: -127

10.19.2023 | 5:58 AM ET

Rah

About Andrew. He apparently commented that curtis blaydes was a ni**er after he pulled out against almeida, he edited it out quickly it seems though.

Nearly 3 years seems pretty harsh when he doesn't usually get suspended often. Going to miss his insights but he's still making picks.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 5 months, 1 day, 19 hours, and 57 minutes from now.

Page 34

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Contemplates MMA Retirement, Would’ve Hung Up Gloves On UFC Title Win
  • MMAFighting.com : Cannonier blames ref for ‘gut-wrenching’ UFC Louisville loss: ‘Herzog got the finish in that fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Poirier, Reyes, Vera, Cannnonier, and Marshall now
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Poirier 'leaning towards being done' with MMA but 'scared' to retire prematurely
  • MMA Mania : Burns Vs Brady Headlines UFC Event On Sept. 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Mailbag: UFC Louisville’s controversial stoppage and where does the middleweight division go from here?
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier trashes 'gut-wrenching' stoppage at UFC on ESPN 57, calls for Nassourdine Imavov rematch in Paris
  • MMAFighting.com : Gilbert Burns vs. Sean Brady in the works for UFC event on Sept. 7
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Gordon eyes winner of Bobby Green vs. Paddy Pimblett after UFC on ABC 6
  • Middle Easy : Jared Cannonier Petitions For Imavov Rematch In France, Says Referee ‘Got The Finish’ At UFC Louisville
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Says Islam Makhachev vs. Conor McGregor Is ‘Very Possible’, Thinks Kayla Harrison Should ‘Fight Some Men’ Next In UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Brad Katona gives himself 'very OK' passing grade at UFC Louisville, but knows you want a finish
  • MMA Mania : Victorious Fury Chasing ‘AJ’ Fight — Not Usyk Trilogy
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58: Make your predictions for Alex Perez vs. Tatsuro Taira
  • MMAFighting.com : Kayla Harrison manager suggests Amanda Nunes retired to avoid fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour LIVE now
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Thought I Was Khabib’
  • MMA Junkie : Gilbert Burns vs. Sean Brady targeted for UFC Fight Night main event on Sept. 7
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa's relief to snap skid at UFC Louisville came with bonus vengeance
  • Middle Easy : John McCarthy Responds To Tank Abbott’s Claim About His UFC Exit And Incident With ‘Big John’s’ Wife